Monday morning session on critical appraisal for some lovely Occupational Therapists.
We had picked out an RCT to look at together and it turned out to have some bumps.
Clin Rehabil. 2012 Dec;26(12):1096-104. doi: 10.1177/0269215512444631.
Chanubol R1, Wongphaet P, Chavanich N, Werner C, Hesse S, Bardeleben A, Merholz J.
- A nice explanation of their power calculation
- A variation in clarity of the protocols for the intervention and comparison
- Outcome measures that are probably not that helpful (though better ones were hard to come by)
- An intention to treat analysis that seems to exclude people who withdrew (?!)
- An overexcited reaction to a subgroup analysis (they enjoyed this explanation of why that might be an issue)
- Presentation of results with medians and IQR as well as means
A very good paper for discussion with OTs who have an interest in stroke rehabilitation.